Makerhood was a social enterprise that supported making, creativity and skills in Lambeth, south London, and created new connections and business opportunities from 2011 to 2019.
Run entirely by volunteers, we:
- launched a business network of which saw hundreds of local makers and artists benefiting from business opportunities, discounts, learning, workshops, events and promotion on- and offline
- took part in or supported many markets and selling events, from helping launch Brixton Station Road Market, to annual WOW markets, Love your Local Market events each year and many more
- built a website using the open source Drupal platform from scratch to promote, sell and showcase local makers’ work and events
- ran the wonderful Making Uncovered events – a showcase for many talented makers in south London
- held over 70 business support events for local makers on a huge range of topics, from creative copyright and photography to pricing, pitching and work-life balance
- collaborated with Brixton’s Diverse Gift shop on an annual showcase of local makers’ work – often the first experience for many makers of working with a retailer
- organised some very memorable Christmas card making parties!